Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Angel's Rest

Hiking. (I went)

today.

Really.

I have every Wednesday off. Why? Juggling, of course.

This week, I decided to go on a hike with Nick, on the condition that I get back in time to go to juggling, of course. He took me to a place called Angel's Rest. Nick has been in Portland for like 20 years, so he knows his way around the trails. Lately, he's been taking me hiking now and again (you may remember a trip to Hamilton Mountain a little while back). So far he's two for two as far as cool places to hike.

The sign at the bottom says it's 2.3 miles to the top, and I think that's a reasonable estimate of the trail. Of course it's very uphill. Or not really 'of course.' After all, how would you know that. Anyway, it offers many amazing views of the Columbia River Gorge. My favorite is near the top where you look through a bunch of dead skeletal trees across the river. Several years ago, there was a fire, explaining all the dead trees, but it's amazing how much growth there is, and the contrast between the dead wood and living surroundings is really neat.

There were many cool wildflowers, including larkspur, columbine, and trillium. And on the way down, there were some ripe wild strawberries. Yum.

So yeah, it was a nice hike. Unfortunately, I was a little tired for juggling. But that was probably due to the hot weather.

Until next time.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home