Wednesday, June 6, 2007

What a Waste

Sometimes you hear rather interesting things on the Portland public transportation system, Trimet. For instance, last night, I was on the Max (light rail system) riding home from work when I heard one side of a rather silly phone conversation.

It began with this rather asinine accusation, "You didn't finish your cigarette, did you?"

It continued with an indignant "That's such a waste!" "Yes it is." "Uh huh."

And kept on going for 10 minutes with such statements as "You are a horrible person!" "Waster!!" and "I'm going to beat you when I see you again."

It became apparent that this guy was talking with his girlfriend. Apparently she didn't finish her cigarette and he had a big problem with this. I couldn't believe the conviction with which he engaged in such a silly argument. It was as if he believed that cigarettes are gold and it is a horrible crime to leave even a single viable puff uninhaled.

I guess I'd have to side with the girlfriend. In truth, I think smoking at all is a waste. It's smelly and well, yeah, it's smelly. But if you're gonna smoke, I see no problem with throwing away an unfinished cigarette.

3 Comments:

At June 7, 2007 at 10:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about leaving the last few sips of beer in the pint glass at the bar?

 
At June 7, 2007 at 10:58 AM , Blogger Eric said...

That would be alcohol abuse.

 
At July 19, 2007 at 8:27 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

smoking is a waste...with the exception of a fine cigar of course. one must enjoy every last puff of the finer things in life.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home